The visits guided to this colossus of the engineering and pride of our nation should be hired previously in the Cultural Center of Ituzaingó. It includes the exhibition, explanation of planes and scale models, and projection of videos stops then to carry out the journey of the work, foreseen for a hour of duration.
It dams it, an Argentinean-Paraguayan emprendimiento, it is located on the denominated Jumps of the Apipé in the river Paraná, in the periphery of the city of Ituzaingó and next to the city of Ayolas , in the Paraguayan bank.
It was installed in this point the jumps and three big islands that exist there to take advantage: Yacyretá (Paraguayan and that of more extension), Talavera and Apipé (both Argentineans). Two of them give the name to the work.
Other factors that influenced in the decision of locating it here the difficulties that it presented the sailing in the place and the feasibility of containing the waters building were the it dams on the islands, besides enabling railroads and international highways.
The flow of the river Paraná in the place is of 42.237.445 m3/h, and the geographical accidents offered the possibility to form one it dams of approximately 70 km of longitude and a reservoir of 1.700 km ' of surface, uniting both riverbanks. The generated energy would be of 13.500 million kilovatios/h (equivalent to 4.500.000 rhyme of petroleum).
The project was conceived in 1920. In 1958 an Argentinean-Paraguayan Agreement was signed for the creation of a Mixed Technical Commission of Yacyretá-Apipé. In 1963 the bases of the preliminary design settled down and in 1964 the Mixed Commission approved the General Plan of Preliminary Studies, being summed up the signature between both countries for the future construction and exploitation of the complex.
In 1971, after a call to international competition, it was awarded Harza and Associates the technician-economic-financial study of feasibility for the realization of the work. The agreement was signed in 1973, giving you beginning to the studies in 1974 next to the creation of the Entity Binacional Yacyretá (EBY). The construction began in 1983 and it was awarded to a franc-Italian company, Associate Impreglio-Dumez for Yacyretá. From 1991 financing of the World Bank was obtained and of the IDB, besides contributions of the Argentinean Treasure.
After countless back payments that meant the postponement of their operation, starting from 1994 started. The turbines, type Kaplan of 9,50 m of diameter and vertical axis, they are manufactured by IMSA, of Mendoza .