From the access a main road that crosses the whole park in address to the river Uruguay comes out. This route has deviations toward the right and left that finish in beautiful miradors. Next to the river it is the Center of Visitors and the Intendency, and a small museum with pictures and other elements of the flora and the fauna of the park.
The land is smoothly wavy, furrowed of streams and populated by copies of Palm yatay (Butia yatay or Syagrus yatay). This palm only grows in some few places in Brazil , Uruguay and Paraguay , but in none it proliferates as much as in this National Park. Here 800 year-old copies that reach heights from 25 to 30 m exist.
They have been carried out several intents to grant to this place category of protected area. In 1922 the professor Haumam began the administrations that eleven years later the professor would reiterate Juan R. Báez. National parks sent study commissions in 1941 and 1953, recommending the creation of a natural reservation. In 1965, the Congress of the Nation sanctioned the Law 16.802 that it prepared the protection of 14.000 there are of palms.
At the moment the lands of the National Park occupy a smaller extension and they are defined by the river Uruguay , the RN14, the stream Thorn and the stream Alone Palm.
In their interior is not only the forest of palms, but also the forest in galleries that extends beside the river Uruguay , and the first floor with aquatic vegetation.
Among the fauna of the park they stand out birds like black heads, fire embers, urutaúes, cardinals, larks, red chests, picaflores, birds carpenters, parrots and parrots, next to partridges, ducks, storks and eagles of several types. One can also see chase the nandu, species extinguished in other places and that in the past it populated this sector. Among the mammals will be able to sight otters, carpinchos, vizcachas and zorrinos.
Inside the park we recommend him to visit the lean one, the arbor and the caleras in ruins. In the first one numerous molles, a typically American tropical tree grows. In the Arbor, a great mirador in a ravine of more than 80 m on the river Uruguay offers beautiful views of the river, its islands and banks of sand, where San José 's turn stands out. It is worthwhile to also visit the ruins of Barquin, caleras built by Juan Barquin in 1780, and those of Sage, originated in a quarry settled down in 1940.