Turismo en Mendoza , Argentina
Search information
Country Information
   San Rafael  
   Gral. Alvear
   4 Tracks
   Air Activity
   Nautical Activty
   Horse Riding
   Mountain Bike
   Golf Courses
   Ski Resorts
   Argentine Wines
   Rural Tourism
   The Tango  
   Tourist Trains
   Jesuitics buildings
   Nationals Parks
To Uspallata for Villavicencio
Camino a Uspallata








El Plumerillo















Camino a Uspallata








Viñedos cerca de Uspallata








Viñedos de Uspallata








Termas de Villavicencio








Termas de Villavicencio








Cruz de Paramillo


Walk to the precordillera that goes by the otroras famous thermal baths of Villavicencio , crosses a panoramic one on the way to mountain and it visits the fertile valley of Uspallata .

From Mendoza they are 94 round trip km until Villavicencio . More attractive it is the circuit of 190 km (with 38 consolidated km) that it continues until Uspallata and it returns for the RN 7. The tract Villavicencio-Uspallata is not passable in a normal automobile from July to October. There are stations of service in Uspallata and Potrerillos, and restaurants in Villavicencio , Uspallata, Potrerillos and Cacheuta; will find very good hotels in the last three places. Walk to Villavicencio : half-day; the turn for Uspallata: complete day.


Leave Mendoza (km 0) for the Av. San Martin heading for the north. In the km 3 the Zanjón of The Plum trees, one of the big channels of drainage aluvional of the city will cross. It is the limit with the department of The Heras whose urban area is integrated with the capital. The departmental head is San Miguel of The Heras


San Miguel of The Heras


The origin of its poblamiento goes back at before Columbus times. In the XVI century, the Spaniards settled down starting from it commends it of Don Juan of The Cave and soon they formed neighborhoods that were suburbs of Mendoza . In 1750 it already existed, in the place of the current city, the chapel of San Miguel of Panquehua. It was in Don José's property Manuel Burgos whose family donated lands for the village. In 1885 the new church was high to parish and, in 1871, you creó the department. received the name from one of the main generals of the Campaign Libertadora, Juan Gregorio The Heras.

Continue heading for the north. In the km 19, we recommend a small deviation to visit the Historical Field The Plumerillo


Historical field The Plumerillo


To consent 1,4 km it continues Independence down the street toward the east to arrive to Lisandro Moyano. There, turn to the right and 100 m continue.

In this place, at the end of 1815 San Martin's general José gathered the regiments of the barracks of The Cañada, San Agustín and Sacred Domingo to form the Army of the Andes, with which undertook in 1817 the glorious Campaign Libertadora of Chile and Peru.

The lands of this town - well-known as The Plumerillo for the abundance of white feathers similar to feather dusters - they were given in loan by the neighbor Don Francisco of Paula of it Challenges It. The engineer Alvarez Condarco delineated the camp and the brigadier Bernardo O'Higgins it built the definitive barracks.

From here they left the different military columns toward Chile . January 9 the first one, to the lieutenant's colonel control Cabot; January 14 the second, directed by the colonel will Fry; January 18 that of the general The Heras, heading for UspaIlata; the 19 and 20 of January the Primera Division commanded by the general to Be accustomed to, toward The Ducks (San Juan); the 21 and 22 of January, the Segunda, Division, under the orders of the general O'Higgins. Finally, January 24 left the general San Martin, meeting with the two main divisions in the valley of Aconcagua , heading for Santiago from Chile .

Concluded the campaign, the barracks were disassembled, the materials given to the poor and the lands returned to their owners. In 1841, during the civil fights, the field concentrated troops on the unitary forces of Lamadrid again. These they faced the south more with Pacheco's federal forces in the Battle of Rodeo of the Means (24 of September), the bloodiest in the civil wars of the country that defined the victory of Roses on the unitary ones.

The place remained forgotten during more than 80 years and newly in 1935 it was revalued with a monument that is access piazza. The authentic canyons that flank it were fused

in Brother's maestranza Luis Beltrán. That same year settled an urn with the ashes of the general Gerónimo Mirror that remained in The Plumerillo up to 1980, being then transferred to the Military Secondary school that takes their name. The field was again rejuvenated in 1995.

The chapel that today is appreciated in the place was built in 1870, in substitution of the historical temple destroyed by the earthquake of 1861, where used to listen mass the general San Martin.


Return to the Av. San Martin and continue heading for the north. The town of Panquehua will travel, of important poblamiento huarpe. There is the helmet of the Cellar González Videla


Cellar González Videla


It was an influential stay in last century. The interesting group dates of diverse times it is organized around a square, to Ia that one enters for a long boulevard. The oldest cellar body dates of 1856 and this built one with adobones and it walls. The house, lifted toward 1863, was one of the most luxurious d its time and received to distinguished visits, as the general Mitre and Rock.

Last the groves of Panquehua dominate a landscape piedemontano, stony and little vegetated.

In the mountains there are rich locations of calcareous stone that have allowed the establishment of important you plant cement producers Pórtland. They are the factories of Minetti and Corcemar that will see next to the road. Then, a long straight line 17 km begins that ascends for a vast plain until arriving, in the km 35, to Canota




In this point, marked by two stone murallones, the Army of the Andes was divided in two columns: a, to the control of The Heras, Martínez and Brother Luis Beltrán; the other one, under San Martin's orders, O'Higgins and to Be accustomed to. The small hermitage in the wall left guard the image of the Carmen's Virgin of Whose, named by San Martin Employer and Generate it of their Army (1817).

Canota was the Spanish captain's old stay Juan Amaro of the Field. From the height the extensive piedemonte and the picturesque mining village of Salagasta can be appreciated, on the mountainous hillside.

In the km 42, the ascent you serpentine restitution and it crosses an area of strong relief, rich in springs that sustain numerous cattle positions. The most important in these slopes is in the km 47 and it forms the Thermal baths of Villavicencio


Thermal baths of Villavicencio


They are located to a height 1 .800 meters , their mineral waters, excellent to drink, they are famous for their healing properties. Here they are bottled and then they market in the country. The mineral water Villavicencio comes from these springs.

Although the place was already known in aboriginal times, its therapeutic values spread from 1902. In 1941 the Great Hotel was built, at the moment in restoration, an elegant place of rest for select tourism.

The park of the Great Hotel, to 400 m of the hostel, is excellent for walks. Leafy groves, nostalgic arbors with ivy and humid paths serpenteantes integrate the picturesque image of the building, I insert in the splendid landscape of the gulch.


Before the entrance, to the left, there is a small hostel, favorable to finish the short walk. has a restaurant of minutes that offers good sandwiches and a living room of tea. There is also a place to camp.

From Villavicencio can return to Mendoza for the same road.

To cover the complete circuit, continue for the route toward the west, through a consolidated road of 38 km , traveling the snails of Villavicencio initially.

This tract is nicknamed the route of the year popularly for; its 365 curves. It is very narrow, for what should' to be traveled with caution; it is not recommended to traffic him between July and October.

In their trip it will contemplate a magnificent arid landscape from the height, with amplísimas seen toward the agricultural oasis of Mendoza's north and the, gulch of Villavicencio. will be able to stop next to impressive cliffs like the Balcony (km 57) whose rocky walls produce resonant echoes. In the km 62 will arrive to the highest point in the journey, in the extensive plateau of Cruz of Paramillo


Cruz of Paramillo


To 3.000 meters , allows to discover the valley of Uspallata in all their splendor, to the foot of the imposing mountain range. Around the 1700, the Jesuit exploited a silver mine here and they built a small stone chapel whose high cross gave name to the place.

Years later, the mine was acquired by the great landowner Joseph of Villavicencio.

Near 3 km later on will find remains of mining establishments, to 500 m , a badge to the left reminds the illustrious naturalistic Carlos' step Darwin (1835) who discovered copies of fossil araucarias in this place.


In the km 67 the serpentine road concludes and it follows the route heading for Uspallata. The vision of the valley opens up completely and boulevards, herdsmen chacras appear. This extensive one spaces intermontano I know it prolongs toward the north in the wide valleys of Calingasta, Rodeo and Church, furrowed in the past by the legendary one on the way to the Inca

In the km 85 will arrive to Uspallata, plows to complete the circuit toward Mendoza returns for the RN 7. The tract of the international road and toward the villages of Uspallata, Cacheuta and Potrerillos.

Viajoporargentina - Información turística sobre la República Argentina
© 2003- Prohibida su reproducción total o parcial. Derechos de Autor 527292 Ley 11723