Their origin goes back at 1638, when the father Diego of Alfaro transferred to this place the Jesuit town of Nativity from the mountains of the Tape, in Brazil . This new foundation received Santos 's Apostles name Pedro and Pablo. It is located on a plateau furrowed by numerous streams that form the characteristic jumps of the missionary region.
The town decayed after the expulsion of the Jesuit and, in 1818, the place of the battle that the commandant liberated Andrés Guacurarí was (also called Andresito, adoptive son of J. G. Artigas) against the Portuguese bandeirantes. In 1897 recast it to him, in a coincident moment with the arrival of Polish and Ukrainian immigrants that gave great impulse to the agricultural production, cultivating dull herb, tobacco, tea, manioc and vegetables. At the same time they created industries of service like mechanical shops, of agricultural machinery, of forge and others.
The new town was structured on four avenues by way of boulevards with parterres central parquizados, those that converge to a central square rotated in 45°. At the moment it is one of the most important centers in the industry yerbatera of the county of Missions . It also has an industrial park where metallic structures take place, fibrocemento elements, ceramic bricks, wire fabric and chassis for railcar.