Junín de los Andes appeared as a consequence of a strong advance in the military campaign against the Indians, that was made by Gral. Julio A. Roca's initiative, in 1879.
Near the port a town was delineated whose first inhabitants belonged to the Army.
It was formed in 1883 by Major Sergeant Miguel Vidal, beside the Chimehuin River.
Later on, in 1896 a chapel, and the Salesiano College were built, about the year 1900 the Post Office was built too.
At the moment, it is the Huiliches Department Capital city and it has the characteristic infrastructure of a modern city.
It is placed at 385 Km to the Southwest of Neuquén city.