The city Comandante Luis Piedrabuena is an oasis in the Patagonia, this city that has 5 thousand inhabitants, and that gets up in the great estuary that form the rivers Santa Cruz and Chico to the foot of a great plateau.
The river Santa Cruz is a paradise for the fishermen. It is that this it is the only place of Argentina where copies of trouts are fished 'steel head' (or steel" "head) that end up weighing up to nine kilos. This species only inhabits rivers of Alaska , United States and Russia , but they are of smaller size.
The trouts steel head have a particularity: they put on weight in the sea, they spawn in the river Santa Cruz , and then about 380 kilometers travel and they arrive at the Argentinean Lake , near to the city of El Calafate .
To preserve the species the fishing it is only admitted with fly, and also with 'spining' that is a modality that only uses tablespoon of a fishhook.
Comandante Luis Piedrabuena December of 1878, 1 were founded but the first residents settled down in the island Pavón, near there. It is located to 154 kilometers to the north of Gallegos River , on the National Route N º 3.
The river Santa te Luis Piedrabuena that now is a museum, and to eat Cruz , of 500 meters wide, is ideal to practice aquatic ski and to navigate to candle and in kayacs.
A good walk is to visit the house where the lived Comandanthe lamb patagónico made to the stick.
In the island there are cabins and also parcels with vents to install carps and rolling houses. Very soon, it was informed, the insular offer of lodging will offer the comforts of a hostel whose exploitation will be given in concession, and where a casino will also work. The island, also, possesses a modern piscicultura station, dedicated to the breeding of trouts "rainbow."