| The history of the Patagonia began here. It is the Capital of Río Negro Province. It is located on the south riverbank of the homonymous river, to 30 Km. of its outlet.
The historical-cultural manifestations, are the differentiating element of this tourist destination. It possesses a historical legacy one of the most interesting from the Argentina Patagonian.
On April 22nd, 1779 Francisco de Viedma and Narváez founded a small fortress that received the name of Patagones, del Carmen, and del Río Negro.
With its foundation the region began to populate with Spaniards, most of them were artisans and farmers.
As a consequence of a flood, the fortress was transferred to the north band, giving origin to the present Carmen de Patagones, name that derives of indigenous groups.
Only a limited nucleous of the previous population was left. Several historical epic poems were gestated.
It stands out the invasion of Brazil Empire. Luis Piedra Buena, a marine from Patagonian origin became the symbol of the Argentinean sovereignty in the southern seas.
In 1878, with the Desert Conquest, Viedma becomes the Capital City of the New Territory of the Patagonia.
The government's seat was Mercedes de Patagones. In 1879, the governor Álvaro Barros imposed to it the name of Viedma.