In the proximities of the current town, in Fuerte Alto, it existed a prehispanic establishment that very important for their size and population's density.
By the middle of the XVII century there was already approximately a reduction that was the antecedent for the foundation of the town for the governor Gonzalo de Abreu, in 1670.
Three years later the existence of the town was documented, with 145 commended Indians. The town evolved discreetly until reaching its biggest development at the end of the XIX century when it was place of hibernation of the tropillas of bovine and mules, in road toward the mines and borateras of Chile and Bolivia .
For then, they prospered the production of vegetable gardens and fruit-bearing, and the crafts in leather, silver and wood.
The initial nucleus of the town settled relatively far from the house of it commends it, in a small plateau located in the angle that forms the union of the rivers Cachi and Calchaquí; in the fork of both currents the slope is softer, allowing the communications somewhere around toward the north.