Turismo en Santa Cruz , Argentina
Search information
Country Information
 
   Caleta Olivia
   Cmte. L.Piedrabuena
   El Calafate
   El Chaltén
   Gob. Gregores 
   Los Antiguos
   Perito Moreno
   Pico Truncado
   Puerto Deseado
   Puerto Santa Cruz
   Puerto San Julian
   Río Gallegos
   Río Turbio
 
   4 Tracks
   Air Activity
   Nautical Activty
   Horse Riding
   Hiking 
   Hunting
   Fishing
  Climbing
   Mountain Bike
   Paragliding
   Rafting
   Sauna-Spa
   Trekking
 
   Golf Courses
   Ski Resorts
   Argentine Wines
   Rural Tourism
   The Tango  
   Tourist Trains
   Jesuitics buildings
   Nationals Parks
 
 
History of Río Turbio

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
It is the third more populated city of the county with a population of 7887 inhabitants and mining center, where the coal and the soot cover everything. It is recumbent on low faldeos which the biggest national reservation of coal exists: more than 750 million tons
The Location Río Turbio depends on the exploitation of the coal that embraces 11.000 there is of domain of the company Fiscal Carboniferous Locations (YCF) and it is the only zonal economic motor. The Villa Mining bill with hospital, schools, temples, radio and television, telephones, esparcimiento centers and consumption, center of winter sports and transport. The population is integrated by employees and workers of YCF and her relative Leaves of the personnel he also lives in November 28 and in the village Julia Dufour.

The carboniferous mantel was discovered in 1886 by the frigate lieutenant Arturo of the Castle, but the first explorations began in 1943 before the difficulty of caring the mineral for the Second World War. With manual elements and without facilities (it fell asleep in carps) 800 meters were perforated in one year, fortifying the tunnels with wood of the area. The transporting of the trams to human traction and the advance on the mantel, to pick and shovel, they were slow. Soon, when checking the great mineral wealth of the place, teams perforators were brought and of transport.

Difficult from the beginning it was always the transporting of the coal until ports distant. During some years, fleets of trucks took that load to Río Gallegos. The best were some to vapor, Sentinel marks, used in the war that had concluded, with boiler easy to feed, they were very robust, ideals to traffic the hard roads with 12 tons of load each one.

The first ship that loaded coal of the Cloudy one and Gallegos River was the «Santa María of Luján». it Beached of prow in the beach, like in an amphibious operation, so that the trucks overturned its load in the cellars. The Santa María arrived in October from 1948 to Buenos Aires with the one office of 1.600 tons prevails.

The opening of the brunch ferroindustrial Río Turbio to Río Gallegos originated a great mining activity that made grow to the Mining Villa as city. The prosperity stayed while the demand of coal continued stable. Now with the substitution of the coal (in trains, central electric, boilers, forges, ovens of lime) for other energy sources like gas, fuel; liquids, hydraulic or nuclear energy -, this exploitation is threatened.
Viajoporargentina - Información turística sobre la República Argentina
© 2003- Prohibida su reproducción total o parcial. Derechos de Autor 527292 Ley 11723